Study Options

Are your courses recognised overseas?

All SAE degree and diploma courses are government accredited. This means that the qualifications you receive upon graduation are recognised all around New Zealand and internationally.

Do you have night-time/part-time courses?

SAE Auckland runs occasional weekend workshops covering a variety of topics.  Keep an eye on our events page for upcoming workshops. All other programmes run on weekdays during the day, with studios and computer labs available in the evenings and on Saturdays (SAE Auckland is closed on Sundays and public holidays).

Do you offer distance education?

SAE Auckland does not current offer online or distance education options.

How much practical time will I get?

All SAE courses have a focus on practical, hands-on delivery. The amount of practical time you experience during your studies does vary, depending on your course. You will also have opportunities to access campus resources and facilities outside of class time, during campus opening hours. 

I have no background in this subject, will I cope?

We carefully design and deliver all our units to help you develop the knowledge you need to be successful in your chosen field of study. Courses and course units at SAE follow best practice teaching and learning.  If you have specific questions, feel free to email study@sae.edu or call +64 9 373 4712 during office hours.

What is the relationship between the theoretical and practical aspects of my course?

Successful creative media graduates need both practical skills and theoretical knowledge. It is important to know the "how" and the "why" of your industry. SAE courses are specifically designed to give you practical expertise and a solid theoretical foundation through our project-based learning approach.

When is the next Open Day?

Upcoming Open Day details can be found on our Events page.

My Application

What are the entry requirements for me to study at SAE?

Entry requirments for SAE courses can be found in the Key Facts section of your relevant course page.

Where can I get an application form and how do I apply?

You can enquire about SAE courses online and we'll get in touch with all the relevant info. Visit How to Apply to see the application process, or Enquire Now.

Why do you need certified hardcopies of my documents?

Certified copies of your supporting documents are required for accreditation and auditing requirements. 

How do I get documents certified?

For SAE documents, see the campus from which the documents were originally issued. For all other documents, these can be certified by people employed in particular professions including: Justices of the Peace (JP), Legal Practitioners, Magistrates, Notary Public, Police Officers, Dentists, Veterinarians, Pharmacists, Certified Practicing Accountants (CPA), Members of Parliament (MP), Ministers of Religion, and Medical Practitioners.

The person verifying the documents must state “I certify that I have sighted the original document and this is a true copy of it” and should sign and print the following details:

  • Full name
  • Address
  • Daytime phone number
  • Profession or occupation
  • Organisation and registration number (where applicable)
  • Stamp (where applicable)
  • Date verified

When do applications close for each intake?

Generally, applications will be accepted until all available places in the course are filled according to date-received priority. The earlier your application is made, the more likely you are to receive a placement. Since degree intakes also require an entry interview, new applications for degree courses need to be received no later than 3 months before the course is due to start.

Where can I get help with my visa application?

Applying for a student visa can be a complicated process. While you are able to do this yourself, an approved SAE Agent can help you with the process. Agents are trained to assist applicants with their university and visa applications.

How much does my student visa cost?

There is a non-refundable visa charge when you apply for your visa. For more information on visa fees and charges please visit the Immigration New Zealand website.

Can I work in New Zealand with a study visa?

The conditions of a New Zealand Study Visa do not allow for paid work.

My Enrolment

What do I do if I want to defer or leave?

If you wish to defer, you will be required to contact Student Services in writing to request to defer or cancel your studies.

What happens if I withdraw or I don't complete my studies?

You must withdraw prior to census date in order to be eligible for a refund of tuition fees. If you have not paid your fees and withdraw after the census date, you will incur a debt. Non-completion of studies does not normally entitle a student to any refund.

What is the Census Date?

The census date is the last day you can withdraw from a unit without incurring any financial or academic penalty for that course. The census date is set at eight calendar days from the commencement date (domestic students), or ten working days from the commencement date (international students).

What is the maximum time I can defer?

The maximum time you are able to defer study is 12 months.

What if I change my mind? Can I pull out of my course once I start?

Financial penalties will apply to students who leave their courses after the allocated census date.

Fees and Payments

What happens if I withdraw or I don't complete my studies?

You must withdraw prior to census date in order to be eligible for a refund of tuition fees. If you have not paid your fees and withdraw after the census date, you will incur a debt. Non-completion of studies does not normally entitle a student to any refund.

When do I need to pay my tuition fees?

Your tuition fees are due prior to the course commencement date, unless paying via installments (certificate programmes only). If you are applying for a Student Loan, you must submit the required application form and supporting documents prior to the course start date.

How much does a course at SAE cost?

Tuition fee information is displayed under the Key Facts section of the relevant courses.

Student Services

What support networks do you have in place for people with a disability or special learning needs?

SAE is committed to providing equal opportunities for students with disabilities or special learning needs. For more information visit Student Services

Student Life

Approximately how many students are in a class?

This can vary depending on the programme due to physical space and booking availability of studios and computer labs.  Classes often have 15 - 25 students.

Can I work whilst studying?

Full time students who are well organised may be able to accommodate casual or part-time work.

How often will I need to be on campus?


Classes run 4-5 days per week for several hours at a time.  Studios are available to book outside class time for work on projects.  Some work may be able to be done off site.  All students receive a full timetable prior to the commencement of each programme.

My Studies

Can I come in and work on assessments on the weekend?

Students can access campus facilities during opening hours. Please contact your campus for timings.

What is Alumni?

SAE Alumni is a network of SAE graduates. When you successfully complete a programme of study at SAE Auckland, you qualify to join the Alumni and are signed up to the associated services.  If you do not wish to receive the benefits of being part of the Alumni network, there is an opportunity to opt out during the enrolment process, or you can request to unsubscribe at any time.

Who do I give medical certificates to?

If you need to provide a medical certificate for any reason, please ensure that you provide this to your Course Coordinator.

How much study is required outside lecture times?

A full time study load is defined as 40 hours per week. Of this 40 hours you can expect 15-18 hours of face-to-face teaching time. The additional hours of study include collaborative work (i.e. recording sessions) and individual study time.

Facilities and Equipment

Do I need a computer or laptop to study?

No, this is not required. Students have access to computer labs on campus for assessment work.

Is your equipment industry standard?

Yes! We consult with industry on a regular basis and update our resources as required.

What are the campus opening hours?

Studios and computer labs are open 9am - 10pm Monday to Friday, and 10am - 10pm on Saturdays.

Our office is open 9am - 5pm Monday to Friday.

SAE Auckland is closed on Sundays, public holidays and for three weeks over the Christmas and New Years period (contact the campus for specific dates).

What is the situation with parking?

Click here for information regarding parking and transport.